Everything you should know about the washing area of an industrial kitchen
The industrial kitchens work at full capacity during the service. However, what happens when it ends? Then, the process of cleaning all the elements used for cooking and serving starts. This task is carried out in the washing area, a space of the industrial kitchens in which the equipment dedicated to this purpose is located. Do you want to know how to organise the washing area of your industrial kitchen with the minimum of effort? We tell you here!
1. The right equipment for the washing area
Taps: they are essential elements in the washing area of any industrial kitchen. There are multiple models of taps depending on their use, but all must be made of quality materials such as stainless steel, and be able to withstand high water pressures. Below we show you a guide on the main types of taps available in on the market:
• Shower taps: there are many types of shower taps that will allow you to obtain spectacular results when pre-washing the dishes or cleaning them manually, as they are ergonomic and can incorporate one or more taps.
• Industrial taps: these tap models are static and robust. They form part of the washing area of industrial kitchens because they are used, among other things, for cleaning cutlery.
• Pedal-operated tap: an ideal option for your kitchen, as these taps are activated only when their pedal is pressed. It allows employees to have their hands free during the washing process and save resources.
• Electronic taps: you can incorporate them into the sink because thanks to its electronic sensor they only turn on when they detect movements, making it easier to save water.
• Timed taps: they supply water under pressure but only for a certain time, avoiding waste. They usually incorporate a push-button or lever to handle them.
• Hose extension set with tap: recommended for cleaning large pieces in an industrial kitchen, as it is installed on the wall and has a long retractable hose.
Industrial sinks: a sink is another indisputable element in the washing area of an industrial kitchen for the manual cleaning of utensils such as pots, pans, trays... Do you want to make the most of the space occupied by your sink? Incorporate a frame, doors, shelves or leave a space in it to place the dishwasher. You will be able to have your articles in order!
Tables: the washing area of an industrial kitchen usually has a table for the staff to deposit the dirty cutlery and dishes after the service. These tables are large and usually have a basin or a waste chute to throw solid waste into a bin before washing. Discover their many options!
2. Hygiene equipment
As you know, in industrial kitchens maximum hygiene must be maintained in all processes, including cleaning. A recommendable item for staff to look after is a hand sink, a skin designed for the specific cleaning of hands before, during and after starting with the cleaning. Once your hands are clean and dry it is necessary that you use gloves. It is useful to avoid direct contact with chemicals and possible bacteria on the dishes.
3. Automatic or manual dishwashing?
The cleaning of all utensils used for cooking can be done in two ways: hand washing or with a professional machinery suitable for this purpose, such as an industrial dishwasher or a washing tunnel. The choice will depend on your budget and the space in your premises. If you choose to incorporate a dishwasher, it will be very useful to attach it to an input/output table to organize and optimize this process. In addition, you could complement it with shelves for placing dishwasher baskets or a pre-washing table with sink and waste chute.
4. Drying of cutlery
One of the last tasks in the washing area of an industrial kitchen is the sterilization and drying of cutlery. The classic method is to submerge the cutlery in hot water, but there is a professional machinery dedicated to this purpose that uses ultraviolet light. Whichever method you use, you will need to dry them properly to avoid lime stains and polish them with a soft cloth. Ready for the next service!
These are the main steps and the basic equipment that you should contemplate in the washing area of your industrial kitchen. In addition, we would also like to offer you a few more tips that will help you have a gleaming, germ-free space:
• You must clean the kitchen after the service, especially the walls that may have been stained, the floor, the extractor hood ... all of them with bactericidal products.
• Always keep the cleaning products of your industrial kitchen well labeled to avoid confusion when using them.
• Use concentrated detergents and degreasers specially indicated for washing cutlery and dishes.
• Optimise the washing area space with shelves or modular furniture to help you tidy up and locate everything quickly.
• To avoid cross-contamination, use a specific cleaning cloth for each area and try not to mix them together, as well as disinfect them periodically.
Have these keys helped you get to know the washing area of an industrial kitchen better? Now it is your turn! Leave us a comment if this article has been useful to you and do not hesitate to consult us if you have any doubt about it. We will advise you in the best way.